Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Pasar Kaget" di Washington, D.C.

Who would have thought you can find what so called pasar kaget in America? That's what occurs at Eastern Market every weekend, where the registered early birds gather to sell their products on the sidewalks and streetbetween North Carolina Avenue and 7th in Washington, D.C. Just like a regular pasar kaget, you can find anything from your basic daily needs to tertier needs and unique items from all over the world.

Easternmarket, which is located not far from where Presiden Barack Obama oath, is divided into several areas. One area that interests me the most is the farmers market, where you can get fresh produce and flowers. Though you can get all of these things at your local grocery stores, the idea of shopping outdoor at a clean, odorless public market is more fascinating than having to wait in line waiting for thecash register person counts how many apples or onions I have in my cart. After looking at some fresh strawberries, I walked to the part where lots of knick knacks, arts and crafts and clothes are displayed. It's the flea market area.

There are lots of talented artists showing off their collection of jewelries, paintings, clothing, and handbags, which I find pretty costly compared with items that you can find in a regular pasar kaget in Indonesia. I introduced myself to a girl in their late twenties whohave been sitting on a chair at her clothing stand. A designer from New York, this girl shared some of her life stories on surviving inthe fashion industry in America. Traveling during the weekdays to showcase her works and sitting at her stand at this flea market every weekend has been her day-to-day life for quite some time now.

Moving along across the sidewalk you can find an indoor market called the South Hall. This is the place where frugal grocery shoppers would find their needs without having to feel the unnecessary distractions from the candles, soaps, and jewelry vendors who are hoping to sell their stuff to you. Fresh meat, fruits, pies, cookies, cheese, and even blood pudding, whatever that is, are available and showcased inside the glass cases. After I was done looking around inside the building I decided to walk outsideagain, following the smell of freshly made crepes. The smell temptedme to order a hot crepe with freshly cut strawberries, bananas, andpeaches combined with a chocolate hazelnut flavor. Without having tohand the money to the crepe guy, I put a $20 bill inside a wine glassmyself and took a $10 and four $1 bills from another wine glass, which was provided by the crepe guy. That's how you buy crepes at theEastern Market, which I found a bit interesting.

The last area I usually visit is the large field where vendors sell their new and usedproducts and knick knacks from all over the world. Made in Tibet and also made in Indonesia furniture displayed and admired by tourists and local people who came to the exhibition to join the crowd. I saw a nicely done piece of small drawer displayed for $240, which turnout to be a made in Indonesia item. I was proud to find a product of my own country here at the market, but gagged at the same time when I looked at the price. Definitely too much, but I didn't say anything though the seller was still trying to sell me his stuff so that he didn't have to unload anything to his parked truck when the day ended.

With a full stomach I walked to the exit sign and headed back home. Though sometimes you think that there's no place like home, you can still find bits and pieces of it here and there. And one of them is Pasar Kaget in America. At least that's how I define Eastern Market. And that has become my weekend highlights.

*pasar kaget: short term market (this one happens on the weekend)
*Dari catatan harian Jan. 29, 2009


Cheers,

missGarba

No comments:

Post a Comment